No one here had said sickle hocks are a good thing, but I was looking for a
Thoroughbred to bring along and re-sell (in the days when I used to actually
sell horses) and a friend said she had seen a lovely TB mare over in Eastern
Oregon at a disbersal sale.  The owner had been ill and had two big high
dessert pens of nearly untouched mares and colts.  She said she was a nice
mare, other than that she had sickle hocks . She felt that sometimes that
wasn't a bad thing in a dressage horse because it made it easy for them to
get their hind legs under them.  I went over and bought this six year old
brown mare.

She was just barely halter broke, but had a wonderful mind.  Everything went
well with her and she learned quickly and was probably about as good as we
all hoped she would be.  I sold her to a young woman from California who
took her to some sort of evaluation for dressage horses.  I can't spell it,
sounds like kurring.  She was judged the best dressage prospect,  based on
her conformation, of any horse on the grounds that day and sold for four
times what I'd got for  her.  She went into someone's broodmare band to
produce warmbloods.  She was quite sickle-hocked.

Nancy