> So what do you do then?<<<<<

This fascinated me, so I did a little digging:
http://www.askthevetblog.com/home/2008/2/26/trimming-chestnuts-on-horse-legs.html

"put a little petroleum jelly on them. After a day or two—if they didn’t
come off on their own—they’ll easily fall off if I “accidentally” hit
them with a brush during grooming."

and:

"I have had farriers trim them regularly (with a hoof knife, not
nippers). And I did just read that some people prefer to sand or rasp
them down. You’ll just have to experiment with what works best in your
horse, because in some horses they’re quite hard and flaky while in
others they’re soft and pliable (I will admit to having twisted them
off, although my horse didn’t seem to appreciate this method). As long
as you work within the chestnut’s layers, I don’t think you are going to
hurt your horse or “quick” him, as you can with dogs when cutting toenails."

I have no firsthand experience with horse chestnuts, though.

-Dee (the D is for Digging on google...)

------------------------------------

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses