He had 60 days as a 2 yr old (previous owner) and has had over a year
off. I've been riding him almost everyday for a month or so now
(He'll be 4 next month) . I just started asking for just a bit of
trot a week ago. I did lots of stuff on the ground with him during
his time off.

I have ridden him in his pasture and in a riding ring (all with bad
footing and tons of grass and bushes in the way making riding most
horses a bit more challenging.) I've not ridden him with other ridden
horses or out on the trail. He is the same in a saddle or bareback.
On his own, in the pasture, he either walks or gallops mostly. I
rarely see him trot or slow canter out there.

I know what you mean about the cues, the thing is, I get the sense
he's afraid to move out, but I could be wrong. For the first few
weeks of getting back to riding he was veyr nervous under saddle
(wood chewing while standing at the fence, throwing his head down,
high head, and pawing.) but is finally comfortable at the walk-halt
now. Also he'll sometimes slow down when I him to move out.

Thanks :)