I've got a young TWH/KMSH cross "Rebel". He's an amazing horse, so well
mannered and gentle,  He's resistent to leg.
 It takes so much squeezing, smooching, slapping myself, and as a last
resort smacking with the rein to get him to move out

This is a pretty common reaction of young horses.  Actually, unless he is
kicking or bucking or fussing when you apply your leg, he is not resisting,
he is just not responding the way you think he should.

Assuming, as others have written, that all is fine with saddle fit and the
bridle you are using and also assuming you are not  accidentally stopping
him with your hands, then here are some things you can do.

Have someone on another horse go ahead of him, but still use your legs to
cue him so that he will undersatand that when you squeeze or just bump him
with your calf muscle, he needs to go forward.

If he's used to working in the round pen or riding ring at liberty, have
someone on the ground encourage him forward from the ground as you firmly
apply your leg - don't kick.  Do what ever you would ordinarily do with a
broke horse but back it up from the ground person.

If you are comfortable using a long dressage whip, first  use your leg then
a tap from the whip behind the leg when he does not respond .  Quit with the
whip just as soon as he understands that your leg applied means to move off.

My guess about his not wanting to maintain a trot or intermediate gait is
that he is not fit enough or balanced enough to sustain anything other than
a walk.  I don't know how you feel about riding outside the riding ring, but
if you have someone you can go out with, a change of scenery often perks up
a bored youngster.

Also - wear a helmet and keep your balance.  Sometimes youg horses will
lurch suddenly when they first realize that you want them to move forward
off your leg.

Nancy