Here's my second checklist - Pre-riding basics.  What did I forget?  The
tradition is to teach these things immediately before saddle-training
begins, but I see no reason that these basics can't be spread over a
year...or two, or more prior to saddle-training.

) Will the horse move away from light pressure?  I'm not a big fanatic on
the "respect" part we hear from too many NH-types, but there really does
need to be a basis of respect.  A horse that will run over you is dangerous.
(This is more prominent on my radar screen, since I will soon be working
with a "wild mustang" who knows nothing about human-horse "manners.")

) Does the horse know how to play the Seven Games with a person (meaning the
horse's version of "seven games"... which may or may not be literally the
same as Parelli's version)

) Does the horse know some basic words - whoa, back, walk, stop, trot (gait,
whatever), canter (can come later), good boy/girl, easy, good, no...

) Will the horse flex and bend quietly and without extreme reactions when
cued from the ground-handler?

) Will the horse transition into the next gait quietly and promptly, both as
an upward or downward transition?

) Can the horse be steered from the ground?   The 7 Games can be a good
start, but ground driving/long lining is a big plus.

) Is the horse willing to participate in the learning, with a good attitude?
Can you see the "wheels turning" and a light in his eyes?

) When the horse doesn't understand something, does he calmly try to figure
it out, without any panic?

) Comfortable with the saddle, pad, etc?  Comfortable with stirrups banging
on his sides without a rider?

) Comfortable with a person bouncing near his side, leaning over him, etc.?
>From both sides?

) Is the horse ready and waiting to come out and play for the next session,
or is he reticent about being haltered and/or caught?