> I think horses are very good at discerning our intent, and putting our
> actions into context...and are very good at forgiving.
>

> Karen Thomas, NC

i very rarely whack a horse but when i do, man he deserves it.
Usually just full of beans and acting arrogant and snotty.  but its
always interesting to me how I can whack a horse for acting up and
they react.  but i can whack a horse accidentally and they know it!
how do they know...  i read somewhere that the horse is the most
perceptive of all mammals.  I think it was in national geographic.
and when I think how perceptive I am, and then try to imagine if i was
like ten times or twenty times more perceptive... i can hardly imagine
it,  it would be like mind reading.  my horses when young, they try to
get over on me and think its funny.  but as they age, they gain
respect and appreciation for my generosity and yes, forgiveness and
affection.  But I can be trying to catch nasi or something and he will
flip me off and do something rude and I will just start getting firm
and he will still flip me off but the INSTANT i actually get mad he
becomes totally submissive.  Even contrite.  He almost killed me
recently.  WHile leading him up to a locked gate, while I was trying
to unlock it, he got playful with curly ray, dancing and butt shoving
him until curly ray did the donkey dominance thing and mounted him and
bit him in the nape without letting go, and caused nasi to surge
ahead, pinning me into the fence.  By the time I got done yelling as
loud as I could and kicking his shins and whacking both of them with
the lead rope they were little angels with halos and I did not do
anything to them that would actually even cause a bruise.  But they
were good for a whole week or two which for those two is nearly
impossible.  and teev, if he ever thought you were unfair he would act
like the biggest sour apple you ever saw.  but one time I accidently
whacked him hard with a hard clunk right in the face with a long
handle of a crab net I was carrying to keep the turkeys off me and he
just winced.  And he is a horse that threw himself sideways and ran
backwards when a stranger on the trail grabbed his face to pet him
when he wasnt expecting it.  They know things.  They do know intent.
I have been walking out into the pasture with the lead rope and on my
way to get Jas or stonewall, I stop and pet Trausti, holding the lead
rope in my hand, and then go on my way, just letting him know when he
sees me coming with a lead rope it doesnt always mean work.  he always
acts like "just keep eating and she'll move on" haha.
Janice

--
even good horses have bad days sometimes.