--- On Sun, 6/29/08, Judy Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I never use it to hit them, only as an aid for proper
> cues.  It just seems like it is more natural for a horse to
> learn aids from behind.

> Interesting.  I haven't heard this before.
> Which cues are from behind?

The ones that say " yes really I really do want to go faster in the gait that I
have asked for, yes really its true I want you to move ahead at a faster
rate.....and then with just a light brush its like magic, he moves ahead as
light as a feather at whatever gait I have asked for.  Baldur likes to know you
really mean it....usually I only have to do that once in the beginning of the
ride, after that I just forget I have it or use it for other trail things.

Skyfaxa in her training had a hard time in the beginning of a ride...she just
would not move forward...(This was only something that would happen on our long
driveway, once we got to our lower gait she was all full steam ahead) so we
used ground driving on the ground and used a crop in the saddle to cue her to
move forward, she got it instantly.

Now she understands what we want and it really is not an issue.  Its just with
a cue from behind they are magically being pushed, instead of having cues from
the seat or on their sides, which I do not believe are really intuitive for a
horse to get especially in the beginning of their training.

Skye