horses haave to get used the flag popping and whipping around in the
air when you are in the saddle and also seeing it comin toward them
and from up behind them. dropping it is the only way out but very
scarey cause on the way down usually flips them out entirely if they
are upset anyway. I have huge silk american flags hanging over all my
water troughs. another thimg that seems to bother them is throwing a
long rope with a sack of aluminum cans tied to the end and then
dragging it back up into the saddle with you.  most want to spin or
run bacwards.  our posse practices stuff like this in a fluffy sandy
arena.
janice