How do you feel about the thought that control can come from the mind (maybe
mind meeting mind) and that a bit may not be the best way to control a
horse?

I think it's in the training.  If you endeavor to "teach" the horse and he
"learns", then you have accomplished something that will be with him
lifelong.  If he goes to a trainer who forces him to "behave" by mechanical
means, he's not "learning".  Possible he's even gathering physical and
mental strength to fight that type of constraint in the future.

>>>He is really quite responsive with the snaffle, but he hates the dropped
>>>noseband even though I am keeping it very loose.

Why use it?

Have you read up on dropped nosebands and the mechanics?  Also, did you see
the recent video about possible problems from nosebands around the under jaw
from tooth roots?

Maybe he has a problem in that area, or possibly he has suffered in the past
from the noseband and it's a memory that he can't shake.

>>>I would love to show this horse in a tolt class as he does that very
>>>naturally and without shoes or weights.

Oh, great!  Can you get a video for us?

Judy
http://iceryder.net