>>> So what is the plan for Bart?  Gelding and re-homing, or keeping him a
>>> breeding stallion for the herd?

I've been tempted to make a public announcement that I will be starting a
new breed called "Island Ponies" that will be a cross between Icelandic's
and Corolla Bankers.

It's not true, but I think it would be fun to get a few busybody tongues
wagging.  ;)

The honest answer is that I don't know.  I like having a project horse, and
I wanted to try one a little more "raw" than the past few Icelandic's I've
had.  I inquired about the Corolla Wild Horses Fund, when I heard they were
adopting a few of the herd out.  I know how badly that herd is hurting with
the encroaching development, and it breaks my heart. This herd is
sentimental to me.  Being a NC native, I've heard about the horses all my
life, and was lucky enough to see a few of them a few times before they were
herded up past the end of the public road.  Then of course, I got to see all
the ones on the trip north of the road six weeks ago.  I don't know exactly
what I was thinking when I inquired - maybe taking in a filly or colt to
play with Princess and Hroi at weaning?  I didn't really have a plan, but
whatever plan I didn't have, I sure did NOT plan to get another
stallion...ever.  But, about a week after I inquired, I got a call asking if
I had a facility to take an injured stallion they were taking off the beach.
Gulp.  No.  No way.  I waited a week or so, and no one else volunteered.
Then a couple of weeks later, out of the blue, Cary got a break in his work
schedule - he thought vacation was out of the question until fall, but a
slack week opened up for him.  He asked if I wanted to go back to the Outer
Banks - it had been five years since we last went, but we used to go every
year.   I called, and amazingly our favorite beach house, one that usually
stays booked all year, was available that week.  It was just eerie how it
happened, all falling into place.   Then we went, and got to spend time with
Bart and Vinnie every day, so here they are.  No plan...Bart just needed a
place to crash... :)

The Wild Horse Fund (adoption league) wants to preserve Bart as a breeding
stallion.  He's very "typey" and correct (in the Colonial Spanish sense of
the word) and is an unusually docile, laid-back stallion.  Their first
concern was that he get a good home, and their second concern is that his
DNA be preserved.  I have adopted them both, so I own them, with the
adoption being official at the end of a year.  If Bart proves to be too much
to handle as a stallion, I can geld him at any time, or they will try again
to find someone to take him as a stallion.

Time will tell.  And no, I have no plans of cross-breeding him to
Icelandic's.