>>> If possible start riding Icelandics BEFORE you buy one so you can
>>> experience the gaits
>>> and decide if you absolutely have to have the tolt.  My mare usually
>>> chooses the tolt
>>> first and she can mix everything in with it or give a lovely perfect gait;
>>> some days I
>>> can't get a trot or a canter on the trail, but the gaits are there and will
>>> come out
>>> when conditions are right.

I agree with that, but I'd add a couple of things.  First of all, some
breeders/sellers
will call any soft gait an Icelandic will do a "tolt".   I wouldn't argue the
point if the
word were consistently used to mean "soft gait", but it's not, and confusion
results,
often damaging the horses in the process.  If the horses are trained more
naturally, they
will each offer his/her gaits in a slightly unique way.   Even if the footfalls
are the
same, just as there are infinite varitiations of trot, there are infinite
variations of
gait.   The speed, the suspension, how the horse uses his/her body, the
relaxation,
etc...all that comes into play - a western-pleasure QH probably won't trot like
bred-for-dressage Lippazaner.   Contrast that with the "professionally"
(meaning:
traditionally or show-type trained) Icelandics...where the trainers insist that
all
Icelandic's literally "tolt."   Most of us on this list think it's rather nasty
to force
all horses to do any given gait, just because some human decided that it's the
breed
signature gait.    Many Icelandic horses can, for instance, EASILY foxtrot or
maybe run
walk, but just don't have tolt in their natural repertoire.   Foxtrot and
running walk are
lovely gaits, very comfy to ride, so what's the big deal?  I don't think it
matters one
whit to most trail riders.

While I can recognize when any of my horses do, for instance, a foxtrot (now -
I couldn't
always distinguish the gaits), each one will feel slightly different.   And -
this is
blasmephy in some Icelandic circles! - the conceivable gaits are the same for
all gaited
horses.  Tolt is not unique to Icelandics.  Not all Icelandics can easily
tolt... just as
all Missouri Foxtrotters won't foxtrot (but may rack, step pace or run walk,
whatever...)
or that all TWH won't run-walk (but may foxtrot, rack, step-pace, whatever).
In other
words, some Icelandic's might gait more like your neighbor's TWH, or like your
cousin's
Foxtrotter, for example.

I have an Icelandic horse that I got as a "problem horse", and I believe that
his problems
originated in that he's basically three-gaited (and I don't think it's THAT
common in the
breed, but it does happen) but the trainers insisted that he tolt - literally,
the
show-kind of tolt...and somehow he ended up with nasty mouth ulcers and gastric
ulcers.
(Even the phrase "tolt training" makes my blood boil now.)  He's a doll now, a
nearly
perfect trail horse, but he will never forget that early training.  I only ask
him to
walk, trot or canter.  If he ever offers a little more, of his own choosing,
that would be
fine, but no more tolt training for this lovely boy!

>>> My mare usually chooses the tolt first and she can mix everything in with
>>> it or give a
>>> lovely perfect gait; some days I can't get a trot or a canter on the trail,
>>> but the
>>> gaits are there and will come out when conditions are right.  This would be
>>> confounding if I was trying to show her, but I am not, I am just trying to
>>> enjoy her
>>> many moods of movement.

That's not unique to Icelandic's by any means.  Many (most?) gaited horses may
go through
that while they are learning to balance a human on their backs.   My TWH mare
did that
when I first got her (she was three and I was a beginner rider - how stupid was
that?) I
know now that she's a "multi-gaited" horse, one who can easily trot and do
various
soft-gaits...in other words, she's much like an ideal Icelandic in her gaits.
 If only
I'd known Lee Ziegler and/or Liz Graves 20 years ago!

I think that Icelandics are a lovely, wonderful, and very unique breed...but
it's not the
gaits that make them unique!  Put the range of gaits in the mix with sturdy,
gentle,
sure-footed, sensible ponies, and you really have something!