I would like to ignore them as if they didn't exist, as if Icinga did
not care to check their status. The reason is because my list of host
objects is imported automatically and it's a very large list. There's
a subset of hosts we don't want icinga to monitor, and it would be
easier for me to tell Icinga not to monitor them (if possible) rather
than modify the software that's generating this list of objects.

I'll look into the check_period = "never" option you mentioned. Thanks.