On Friday, November 11, 2022 10:09:52 AM EST Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 5:05 AM Scott Kitterman <skl...@kitterman.com>
>
> wrote:
> > > A heuristic I’ve suggested previously is “If the recipient’s email
> >
> > address
> >
> > > is not in the To: or Cc: header then treat the mail as unsigned”.
> >
> > Which is a fancy way of making DKIM only work for direct mail flows.
>
> That's part of at least one of the proposals on deck.  But that same
> proposal talks about adding to the signal available to the receiver, not
> changing or removing it.
>
> > I've been thinking some more about this and mentally I'm swinging back
> > more
> > towards the system is working as designed, don't mess with it.
> >
> > If an ESP is willing to take on a trial customer they know nothing about
> > and
> > let them send email leveraging the reputation of the ESP's domain, why is
> > it
> > wrong that it suffers when that does not end well.
>
> It's not always a commercial ESP.  The identified attack works today if you
> are a private user using a public mailbox service provider.
>
> > I've yet to see any proposed problem that can be resolved without
> > disrupting
> > legitimate mail flows or standing the 5321/5322 architectural division on
> > its
> > head.  I know it when I see it isn't a sufficient definition.
>
> Repeating what I said above, I think there are some ideas on the table that
> seek to provide incremental information for receivers to use in these
> cases.  The disruption should be minimal, unless the receivers broadly get
> it wrong.

The challenge is if that added information also applies equally to legitimate
mail, it's merely an attractive nuisance we'd be better off not creating.

> > I can imagine the market solving this.  If there are two ESPs and one is
> > careful about who is allowed to send mail signed by their domain and the
> > other
> > is not, I suspect that eventually superior reputation will result in
> > superior
> > deliverability, which should result in being able to charge more for a
> > premium
> > service.
>
> I think that clearly this approach could work.  It's not a massive leap to
> conclude that senders shouldn't sign spam, but it's also well established
> that spam filters are not perfect.  All an attacker needs to do is identify
> some pattern the filters don't detect, and get that signed, and this attack
> works despite the best efforts of the sender.
>
> More concerning to me: The IETF has previously taken the position that the
> market will figure out spam and phishing, and therefore consideration of
> protocol solutions should be deflected.  DMARC was the result.   I feel
> that we leave this to the market, and that industry, at our own peril.  I
> think we should give this a serious look before rejecting it outright.

I agree with this.  The challenge is finding a technically tractable way to
distinguish this problematic case from normal usage.  I still owe the authors
of the proposed solutions a more detailed study of the proposals, which I
won't have bandwidth to do until at least Sunday.

Scott K