What’s stopping large providers from removing DKIM now if they wanted to?

Or have they actually made the choice to keep the signatures in? If they have
made that choice, do we know why? If they haven’t made the choice, how
complicated will it be to change the inbound MTA to strip headers? Will this
have knockon effects for their internal systems? Is there a risk that stripping
the DKIM header will cause authentication failures if the messages are
forwarded internally or externally? (I’m reminded of the time Microsoft changed
some internal systems around and ended up having everything fail SPF because
they were picking the wrong IP out of their mess of headers to do SPF
authentication with).

And, I think most importantly: will this recommendation by the IETF have any
impact whatsoever on the groups currently using DKIM replay as a way to get
past (some) filters? I don’t see how it will, most of them are using their own
email addresses / servers to collect the replayed messages and then sending the
messages out through their own systems. Even if Google and Microsoft and Yahoo
and the other top 20 mailbox providers start stripping DKIM headers, the
attackers will be able to find some service somewhere that doesn’t. Worst comes
to worst, they stand up a MX on an EC2 instance and run their own code to
collect the mail.

laura

> On 22 Nov 2022, at 18:56, mikespec...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I have nothing much useful to add, except to say that I’m pro removing the
> DKIM header for other privacy reasons. I also think the ietf signaling
> support for this would be helpful in getting large email providers to push
> forward with solutions here.
>
> KeyForge: Non-Attributable Email from Forward-Forgeable Signatures
> usenix.org
> <waves_favicon.ico>
>
> <https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity21/presentation/specter-keyforge>KeyForge:
>  Non-Attributable Email from Forward-Forgeable Signatures
> <https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity21/presentation/specter-keyforge>
> usenix.org
> <https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity21/presentation/specter-keyforge>
>  <waves_favicon.ico>
> <https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity21/presentation/specter-keyforge>
>
> ==Mike
>
>> On Nov 22, 2022, at 10:47 AM, Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

>>> My desktop MUA of choice (kmail) includes the capability too.
>>

>> To the extent there is serious pressure to aid MUA awareness of the DKIM
>> header-field for a received message, we can specify renaming the field (and
>> removing the actual signature value.)
>>
>> This retains the desired signalling information, without being useful for
>> replay.
>>
>> d/
>>
>> --
>> Dave Crocker