On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 12:16 PM Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> There appears to be no perfect way to distinguish a Replay attack from a
> legitimate re-posting by an Alias or even a Mailing list (that preserves
> the original DKIM signature.)
>
> The only 'signal' that is valid, also is ambiguous.  The signal is that
> the rfc5321.Mail command has an address that is not in any of the
> rfc5322 address fields.   The ambiguity, of course, is that that's also
> true for Alias.
>
> I'm wondering about designing some assistance by the author's platform
> and the Aliasing platform, to flag what they've done.
>
> Imagine adding a header field like "Separate-Envelope:", possibly
> listing the domain name of the site putting the flag there, and having
> them add a DKIM signature to cover it and the rest of the message.

> This could also be done by a spammer doing Replay, of course. But the
> point is that this added mechanism now creates a noise-free basis for
> evaluating this class of traffic associated with that signed domain.

Agreed that reputation systems can play a role when the spammer decides to
participate.

It's not that the receiving filter could not detect the disparity
> between envelope and content addresses. It's that the receiver is
> getting a flag from whomever did it.
>
> If, for example, the domain name is of the originating service, then
> it's clearly not Replay.
>
> If it is from an Aliasing site, the receiver can quickly build up a
> reputation for that site, to aid in determining replay or not.
>
> Thoughts?

In this model, let's consider the Receiver's actions.
1. Say the spammer doesn't want to participate in creating a
Separate-Envelope, how would a receiver detect this as Replay?  Is the idea
that Separate-Envelope identifies the Alias or Mailing-lIst?  Is the
verification process that the Receiver notices that the header is missing?
2. You've noted what happens when the spammer participates in generating
Separate-Envelope
3. A non-spammer should have a Separate-Envelope, which will validate.

FWIW a different approach but overlaps this idea is that a sender
identifies the domain they intend to send to.  The receiving system
verifies that they are the intended recipient domain.  I think John Levine
has a draft about this.  I have a draft that expands some of that idea
further.

-Wei