On 2/13/23 2:49 AM, Laura Atkins wrote:

Basically saying if you're not filtering outbound mail for abuse, you're part of the problem.

I don’t see how that’s relevant to the discussion here.
It's extremely relevant. If you don't want to be viewed as a spamming domain, do your part to not send spam. This really isn't rocket science.

Most of the outbound mail is not detectable as spam (it’s not sent in bulk and it is sent to opt-in email addresses). So it won’t catch the send-one-message-to-myself case. If we’re looking at linking to spam landing sites, it’s trivial for the site to show one thing during the initial send and then be a wholly different site when it’s sent by the spammer.
According to some others here, the spammers have to go to elaborate ends to not have it detected as spam. I don't recall if they specified whether it was incoming or outgoing (or both) that they needed to evade.

The issue at hand is: can we tighten up the DKIM protocol to make it more resistant to replay attacks? Telling the victims that the problem is they’re not doing outbound filtering isn’t helpful, nor does it address the problem. Expecting the spammer to do outbound filtering doesn’t seem to be a useful pathway. If we could convince spammers to outbound filter their spam we’d have solved the problem.

Er, huh? It's the sending provider who should be doing outbound filtering, not the spammer. And sorry, if you want to keep your reputation as a sender up and you're not doing outbound filtering you really have nobody to blame but yourself. You're essentially an open relay.

Mike