On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 12:02 PM Hector Santos <hsantos=
40isdg....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> +1.
>
> ARC is not a solution, but it is a good part of the problem. It’s not hard
> to see how our fall back to defocusing, the de-emphasis of the DKIM Policy
> Model in lieu of Reputation Modeling creating this issue.

ARC compounds the reputation problem because it requires additional
reputation computation as well.  However, it does provide a means to more
precisely describe the forwarding path which is something that DKIM was
meant to support but arguably too broadly wrt DKIM replay.  We can use that
described path to detect replay deterministically (alluded to in the
Problem Statement doc in the "basic solution space").

> Every issue we have today is nearly 100% because of the lob-sided efforts
> to impose a DKIM Reputation Model on receivers when it was predicted during
> MARID and into early DKIM that if we do this, we will have issues related
> to the "Batteries Required" Syndrome.
>
> - No standard Reputation Protocol
> - No single repository of GOOD vs BAD domains
> - To be somewhat effective, Batteries Requires (paid 3rd party service)
> - Exploiters attacking those without Batteries.
>
> This is why the original DKIM Charter tried really hard to focus on
> Deterministic Protocols rather than Heuristic Protocols based on the Author
> Domain. The original DKIM Charter considered “Reputation Modeling” out of
> scope.
>
> Now it is in scope and we are dealing with issues that can not be solved —
> not without addressing the DKIM Policy Model for 1st and 3rd party signers.
>
> If the group effort is to be able to write a PS for DKIM + Reputation
> Modeling, we should highly note it was all perpetuated by our defocus of
> DKIM Policy Modeling and the lack of will to fix DMARC.

I agree with the split between deterministic protocol vs reputation
systems.  I think there's space to make progress on the
deterministic protocol side by authenticating forwarded email more
accurately.

While I suspect this is well out of scope for this WG, FWIW I do agree
there ought to be work done on the reputation side too.  Yes there are a
lot of heuristics there that will resist standardization, but perhaps
there's room to make improvements for initialization.
-Wei