> On 1 Sep 2023, at 03:49, Grant Taylor
> <gtaylor=40tnetconsulting....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
> On 8/31/23 8:02 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>> The classic case was that spam about V*gra was very common, but blocking
>> that word in every anti-spam filter would create something that was really
>> not fit for purpose for Pfizer to use for their email system.  The sender
>> and recipient really make a difference about what is spam - and as the
>> sender you don't know who the end recipient is, because there are plenty of
>> recipients.
>
> I've seen -- what I consider to be -- too many systems -- read more than zero
> -- that apply some amount of spam filtering to inbound message and no spam
> filtering on outbound messages.

You don’t know that they don’t do spamfiltering on outbound messages. You don’t
see what they catch and don’t send. What you do see is when that spam filtering
fails.

> I've also seen many of these systems wonder why they ended up black listed
> when an account was compromised and someone was sending spam through said
> system.
>
> I feel like there should be basic spam filtering on outbound messages. Even
> if it's as simple as logistical checks; making sure the from makes sense,
> probably running the message through something like a default configuration
> of SpamAssassin (without Bayes), and probably through something like ClamAV.
> Just basic sanity checking on messages.

Many ESPs are doing that, and doing blocklist checking on URLs. But all it
takes is for one message to slip through and amplified.

> Dare I say, I'd add SPF between the MSA and MTA.

I don’t understand how this is going to address the problem.

> Things to prevent blatant spam / viruses much closer to the -- likely to be
> authenticated -- sender.
>
> I'll say it this way, if there's a 90% chance that your inbound system would
> block it, then why should your outbound system send it?

As Bron said: the inbound system has a lot more information about the mail than
the outbound system. I’ll also point out that if it’s one-to-one or one-to-few
there are legitimate reasons to send spam. Say, mail to an abuse address
reporting spam. I’m sure we can agree that MTAs shouldn’t be blocking abuse
reports, yes? What you’re asking for means a lot of spam reports will be
blocked (or incomplete).

>> Fact: recipient spam filter has more information than sender spam filter
>> Result: recipient spam filter can be more restrictive without causing excess
>> damage.
>
> Yes, there is different data.
>
> But there is still data on the sending side that can be used to perform basic
> checks.

You’re asserting there are no basic checks being done. Do you have any evidence
other than sometimes mail evades the outbound filters?

>> There's no hypocrisy in recognising the asymmetry, and designing with that
>> in mind.
>
> I still think that it's hypocritical to have zero spam filtering on outbound
> email while having any spam filtering on inbound email.

laura (participating)

--
The Delivery Expert

Laura Atkins