On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 10:17 AM Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 10:03 AM Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:
>
>> Keys cannot be rotated fast enough to be useful within the time frame
>> that attackers work in.
>>
>> Key rotation works in a timeframe of days or weeks.  Attackers work in
>> the timeframe of minutes.
>>

> I think we disqualified use of "x=" as a mitigation on the same basis.

To be clear, for us x= was one of the most effective defenses against
large-scale replay attacks. Not perfect, obviously, but applied carefully
and in conjunction with header oversigning, it created a significantly
narrower window for attacks, and reduced the potential financial return to
attackers from replay spam.  I would note that the effectiveness of x= for
reducing replay risk will likely vary considerably from signer to signer,
depending on a number of factors; we may be better positioned than many
signers in that respect.