Layering is a fine principle, but it's not how DKIM has ever worked in practice.  Two weeks ago we had a long discussion about oversigning, so DKIM validators can catch messages with multiple From: or Subject: headers which have never been valid in any version of 822/2822/5322 but show up anyway.

Please explain how you think DKIM violates layering.

What I said in my previous message, people use oversigning to catch 5322 header violations.

For the specific issue of bare CR or LF, I was reminded on another list that there is a trendy attack called SMTP smuggling which depends on mail software inconsistently accepting bare CR or LF, and mail providers are busy patching to fix it.

That has nothing to do with DKIM, of course.

Opinions differ.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY