On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 5:29 PM John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> It appears that Wei Chuang  <wei...@google.com> said:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> >Hi DKIM folks,
> >As many of you know there was a DKIM security vulnerability disclosure
> >Friday around the signature header body length tag "l=". The blog post is
> >here: https://www.zone.eu/blog/2024/05/17/bimi-and-dmarc-cant-save-you/
> >The authors state that an adversary can append a malicious footer to a
> >message with DKIM w/body length, then rewrite the Content-type header mime
> >delimitter, that will cause the apparent body to be that of the footer but
> >will authenticate as the original DKIM signature.
>
> This exact attack is described on page 41 of RFC 6376:
>
>    If the "l=" signature tag is in use (see Section 3.5), the Content-
>    Type field is also a candidate for being included as it could be
>    replaced in a way that causes completely different content to be
>    rendered to the receiving user.
>
> There really is nothing whatsoever new here.
>
> I agree that it would be a good idea to discourage people from using
> the l= tag but first I am trying to talk to the few places that send
> me l= mail and see if I can figure out why they do it.

As the blog post authors state, the new thing is that folks are using DKIM
with body length "l=" tag.  I too was surprised to see data supporting what
the author wrote, that many many senders are signing DKIM with body
length.  While small in overall traffic volume, they are a diverse group
with many Fortune 500 companies and others with significant infrastructure
responsibilities that send messages with DKIM with body length.  Over the
last 7 days there are 71048 distinct domains that had at least one passing
DKIM signature with body length.  There is a long tail of senders with
just  a few messages of their overall traffic volume which masks their
usage, but many also send the majority of their traffic signed with body
length and thus much more easily found.
-Wei