----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Leiba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "IETF DKIM pre-WG" <ietf-dkim@mipassoc.org>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter

> > I really like your suggestion in
> > http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2005q4/001359.html that we move
> > away from the word "policy" and use "declaration".  Should we do that
> > here as well?
>
> Thank you.  I looked at the text here, and there are only two places
> where we say "policy", and I can't see a good way to turn either of
> those directly into "declaration" without changing what they mean.
> The first says, "and to publish 'policy' information about how it
> applies those signatures."  I could make it, "and to publish declarative
> information about how it applies those signatures," or simply, "and to
> publish information about how it applies those signatures."  What do you
> (plural) think?
>
> The second one is in the definition of the deliverable, so I could
> change that from, "A standards-track specification for DKIM policy
> handling," to "A standards-track specification for DKIM signing
> declarations."  That changes it significantly, and it worries me to
> change the charter text so much -- and the actual content of the document
> is quite up-in-the-air right now anyway.
>
> Maybe we should leave the charter text as it is, and wait until we start
> beating on the document before we decide whether we want to call it
> "policy" or "declaration" or "bad thing that we've decided not to do
> after all."

Good idea! <g>

My comment:

What is the reason again for changing it in the first place? Establishing a
common ground between administrators and implementators?  Or to add strength
to the protocol?

Is "policy" too lose of a term? an administrative prerogative?

As oppose to "practice" or "declaration" which to me, I can see how it
connotates a common setup or common expected mode of operation between
systems?

hmmmm, why not "mode?"

Lets see:

    "domain.com has a EXCLUSIVE DKIM practice"
    "domain.com has a STRONG DKIM declaration"
    "domain.com has a WEAK DKIM policy"
    "domain.com is operating in a NEUTRAL DKIM mode"

Mode is more like policy -- too lose, too system specific.

If we are trying to add some "strength" to DKIM so that systems follow the
specs, that I guess I can see for something other than policy.  But I like
policy because we have been using for long to describe a systems local mail
policy.  It fits right in with everything else and in the end I think
customers will understand policy better.

I vote - lets move on. :-)

http://www.santronics.com