On 03/15/2006 21:51, Dave Crocker wrote:
> Michael Thomas wrote:
> >>
> >> It doesn't, and it doesn't care.  It looks up the signing domain in
> >> its handy local list of signers worth paying attention to.  Maybe at
> >> some future time there will also be external sources of worthy
> >> signers, but that's way outside the scope of any discussion here.
> >
> > Which handy local list of signers is that? Where do I find Cisco's?
>
> Michael,
>
> The signature that you are so worried about preserving is only useful if
> there is some database to consult, about it.
>
> That's the list John is referring to.
>
> So whatever you are planning to consult, after validating the originator's
> signature, is what should be consulted after validating the list's
> signature.
>
> In other words, a valid signature is a valid signature.  An invalid
> signature is an invalid signature.
>
> And, as I've raised many times, I do not understand the compulsion to
> preserve a signature for a message that is re-posted by an automaton user
> agent, when there is no equivalent expectation of preservation, for a
> message that is manually re-posted -- such as when I forward a message on
> to someone else.  The architectural role is the same.  The semantics are
> the same.
>
> Mailing lists can do, and do do, whatever violence to a message they wish
> and their subscribers find useful, because the mailing list agent is really
> posting a new message, no matter how close it might seem to the original.
> A small amount of hacking to make the close ones preserve the signature is
> one thing.  A large amount is quite another. So is attempting to declare
> the ones making larger changes "wayward".
>
> It is not reasonable to try to declare that the ones doing small changes
> are somehow acceptable but that the ones doing larger are not, since a)
> there is no specification or established practice to justify that
> declaration, and has been pointed out rather directly, b) such a
> declaration will have no beneficial effect.
>
> So, as vigorously as you are arguing your position, I am not seeing how it
> produces anything that will work in the real Internet.
>
> d/

This database that you insist is necessary for DKIM to be useful is pretty
well by definition a reputation system.  So, if as you say a DKIM signature
has no value without a reputation system of some limited kind and reputation
is out of bounds, I guess I don't understand what you think we are doing
here?

Scott Kitterman