At 6:54 PM -0500 3/24/06, Barry Leiba wrote:
Section x.y: Backward compatibility with the pre-standard version

Earlier, pre-standard implementations of DKIM used a different hash mechanism. Owing to significant deployment of that mechanism for early adoption and experimentation/refinement leading to this specification, current implementations SHOULD maintain signature-verification compatibility with the earlier version as follows:

1. Support the SHA-1 hash algorithm, and recognize and respect the a=rsa-sha1 tag.

Yes.

2. Support the earlier mechanism of using a single hash, as indicated by the absence of bh=, by computing the message hash thus: <describe how to put the headers and body together for the hash here, noting that the canonicalization is identical>

Proposal: instead of basing this on the absence of the "bh=" header, we really should just start using v=. They would have the identical semantics in this case, and would be more flexible for the future. That is, "Support the earlier mechanism of using a single hash, as indicated by the absence of v=". We would start using "v=" in the -01 draft, maybe with a value of "-01" (although the value is truly unimportant as long as it changes with each technical or semantic change we make).

If people like this idea, I will propose concrete changes to the -00 text to make v= required for implementations starting with -01, optional to include, and its absence means the protocol and semantics pre-IETF version of the document.

Verifiers MUST NOT accept a=rsa-sha1 in the presence of bh=, and MUST NOT accept the absence of bh= in the presence of a=rsa-SHA256; those combinations are contrary to this specification, and their use is NON-COMPLIANT.

Fully disagree. A few folks on this list have already said that they can do both, and the pre-IETF versions certainly did not prohibit the use of SHA-256.