>  I would support some gentler language that permits use of z= in
> verification, with particular attention paid to ensuring that a new
> security vulnerability is not introduced.

My recollection is that we had no idea what the security
vulnerabilities would be, nor did we have any proposals for a metric
of deciding when a modified header is "close enough".  An obvious
example is how algorithmically one might purport to tell a subject
addition of [ietf-dkim] from an addition of [v1agra-at-www.sleazy.biz]

So I still think our decision to stay away from the whole thing was
correct.  Either it's the same message and the signature verifies, or
it's not.  I suppose we could tell people that it's OK to use z= as
part of the process of deciding what to do with a message whose
signature didn't verify, but that process is outside the scope of the
spec.

> My solution would be for the modifier to sign the message after
> modification.

Yes indeed.  Any time someone proposes something more complicated than
this, they really need to explain why.

R's,
John