Arvel Hathcock wrote:
>>> This is where we are at present on the NXDOMAIN issue I believe but
>>> others might have a different view.
>>>
>> That's my impression, as well.
>>
>> What's the path towards settling this?
>>

> I propose that the side advocating maintaining the NXDOMAIN check as an
> actual algorithmic step agree to remove this from the algorithm
> description in favor of placement somewhere else.

I'd be happy with this if I knew where the "somewhere else" is.  If
there was a domain existence check somewhere else that we could
reference, that's worth discussing.  But I know of no such reference.

The other question is what the existence check should consist of:  check
for an NXDOMAIN response or check for MX/A/AAAA which more precisely
defines mail domains?

-Jim