On 10/15/10 10:58 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> [...]

The problem is: when is a broken signature an intentionally broken
signature and how do we detect that at the verifier side?

>> For
>> header mutations after signing (which are likely to be a malicious
>> attempt in the specific cases we have been discussing) I feel that
>> treating it as simply the same as unsigned is ignoring the potential
>> maliciousness.

-1. At the end of the day, giving a negative score to an invalidated
signature will/may affect the reputation of the owner of the domainname
or better said: it will influence the way the assessor will interpret
the authentication results provided by the verifier. Apart from the
problem of how to determine the 'nature of the invalidation'.

> I think the problem is it's hard to tell using an algorithm.  A human can
> perhaps look at a modification and qualify it as an operational side-effect
> or something deliberate intending to deceive, but it's pretty hard to codify
> that kind of logic, especially without some foreknowledge about what
> downstream agents are going to do with the message (which would make such an
> algorithm heinously big).
>
>> I recognize what Murray and Dave have said on this point but it grates.
> I think it's an unfortunate reality as well; absent a way to tell the
> difference, it seems the best option is to act like there isn't any
> difference.
>
> Interestingly, I think the same logic applies to domain reputation: It's easy
> to shed a bad reputation by changing domains, so in the end I expect a bad
> reputation will be the same as no reputation.

+1

Like DNSBLs and IPv6: at some point it will be more effective to
whitelist known 'good' IP addresses than to blacklist the ever changing
IP addresses of the bad guys.

/rolf