On Oct 20, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> "Michael Thomas" <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

>>> I'm pushing for neither. It's not the DKIM verifiers responsibility to
>>> enforce that.
>>>
>>> I do think that an informative note observing "Here are a couple of issues
>>> that might theoretically be exacerbated by a DKIM-using world; you might
>>> consider checking for these problems somewhere in your mail handling path,
>>> if you aren't already" would be reasonable.
>>>
>>> "Somewhere in your mail handling path" might be in the same binary as the
>>> DKIM validator, or it may not - and implying that an implementation that
>>> chooses to handle two entirely separate validation issues in two separate
>>> modules is "non-compliant" or "low-security" or "low-quality" doesn't seem
>>> helpful.
>>
>> I think that Steve threads this just about right. No need to cast aspersions,
>> or kick them off the "compliant" island. Just lay out the security
>> consideration
>> and let people deal with this however makes sense. I'm still puzzled how this
>> tempest entered this tea pot.
>>
> Um. That's not how I read what he wrote. He specifically said no to security
> considerations

I don't think I did. The "informative note" would probably be something
informative, rather than prescriptive, in the security considerations section.

What I wouldn't favour would be a MUST or a SHOULD or anything morally
equivalent to either, as it's outside the scope of a DKIM specification to do
that.

> and I understand that's what you're in favor of.

Cheers,
  Steve