My preference would be Message-Id SHOULD be part of the top core
listing and if wish to add text to explain use cases when/why it
should|may not considered be hashing, that would be make more DKIM
engineering sense to me.

It should be the exception and not the rule to not consider a
Message-ID as part of the "core" group. So if anything,

    There are tradeoffs in the decision of what constitutes
    the "core" of the message, which for some fields is a
    subjective concept with use cases where modifications
    or removals are possible. For example, excluding fields
    such as "Message-ID" may apply under certain scenario
    where it is known this header may be altered, such as
    under a resigner creating a new message.

Whatever.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com