Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> [...]

To be more precise, may erroneous labeling of AUID as the author or
user DOMAIN in the From: address for ADSP purposes.

Its been an ongoing debate with what AUID (i=) is. Just see the recent
threads with Fenton's proposal to remove it and some suggested to keep
with refinements like i= should be the From address.

This is why Barry's message is important here (got to find it) because
if I can correctly recall, he showed both CON and PRO logic on how/why
an undefined i= can be assumed to be the From and and the From.domain
for ADSP purposes.

>>    3.x  Originating Domain Identity (ODID)
>>
>>    The ODID is the domain part of the From: address.  This identity
>>    MAY be considered as an output communicated to an advanced
>>    Identity Assessor module.
>
> We already have a name for that: "RFC5322.From".  We don't need a
> new name for something old.

If we want to say From.Domain is an identity, fine by me.

> I don't see any ambiguity here that needs fixing, unless there
> are lots of people that want to come forward now and admit
> they had the same misunderstanding you did.

There is plenty of archive evidence old and new regarding i= (AUID)
ambiguity, including whether it should be a USER identity as the
definition ambiguously says "Agent or User."

Who/What is an Agent? Undefined?

Who is the User?  I presume the RFC5322.From?  No?

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com