On 05/23/2011 11:17 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
> As an impressive example of even deeper misunderstanding:

More of CROCKER's famed civility.

>> On 5/22/2011 10:49 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> But this is exactly what DKIM is. You prove yourself fsvo "prove"
>>> to the registrar who "certifies" you by virtue of placing your NS
>>> records in the root servers instead of issuing a cert. Nothing
>>> different in *essence* to x.509 certs.
>>>
> DKIM has almost literally nothing to do with proofs made to a DNS registrar.
> For example, it says nothing about the relationship between a domain name and
> brand or company name.

Where exactly did I say anything about a "brand" or a "company"?
Oh, I didn't.

> DKIM merely says that who ever owns use of a domain name is asserting "some"
> responsibility for the signed message.

Yes, and the way that they got to "assert" that was by convincing
a registrar to allow them to create and maintain NS records in the
root servers.

> In extremely abstract terms, a DKIM signature relates to a reasonably constant
> construct that one might call an "identity" but it does not label the
> identity,
> except with the domain name.

A domain name is an identity. RFC4871 calls it the signing identity.

> More importantly, there are none of the claims, assertions or endorsements
> that
> go along with Certs, except for the mild one noted above.

Assertion of identity is "mild"? It's the *key* assertion.

> One would have expected a former author of the spec who so-often proclaims
> their
> expertise to understand the semantics of DKIM better.  On the other hand, it
> does nicely show that implementing code doesn't mean understanding what it is
> for...

I'm not a "former" author.  But thanks for the smear anyway.

Mike