(subject adjusted)

A sender using SRS would need to maintain a database of valid addresses.
However, that task can become unduly complicated if the database has to
be kept in sync across several distant hosts.  A digital signature can
substantially complement the security of the necessarily-too-short hash
added to an SRS address, making it possible to avoid the database
entirely, except for address length worries.  That's where EDSP can save
the day.

On Mon 01/Jul/2013 21:24:25 +0200 Michael Deutschmann wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> Well, not really.  MAIL FROM: is only visible after delivery, so to
>> avoid dangling signatures one should store its value in some other
>> header field or... in the i= tag.
>
> ITYM "only visible *before* delivery"

It has to be in the message content for DKIM to be applicable.

> There's long been a standard header for that purpose, "Return-path:".

The signature the OP posted had h=content-type:mime-version:subject:
list-unsubscribe:reply-to:to:from:date:message-id, so the sender had to
stuff it in i=.

> But EDSP checking in the MUA is not very useful -- if the Return-path is
> disavowed, then bouncing is an even worse idea than normal.  The only
> place to act is in the SMTP transaction at the border.

It is not very useful to the SMTP receiver either.  The only value added
is the d= domain supplied by EDSP.  SPF leaves the receiver
wondering about where the cut lies, but that's a non-actionable datum
anyway, for the time being.

> It does mean that if the mail passes through an SPF Sender Rewriting
> Scheme forwarder, then it will end up with an unbroken but irrelevant
> signature.  Even if that forwarder knows about EDSP, it can't strip the
> signature because it can't know that it isn't there to serve a different
> accessory protocol yet to be invented.  After all, most of the time MAIL
> FROM: = From:, so the signature added for the sake of EDSP will
> simultaneously be serving ADSP or DMARC.
>
> But I don't think that's a problem.  The message will get through,
> because the forwarder now owns the MAIL FROM and it's up to him whether an
> EDSP check is needed.
>
> Also, if any DKIM accessory protocol will false positive OR false negative
> due to the presence of irrelevant (ie: not the d= you're looking for)
> signatures, then that accessory protocol is really broken.
>
> Of course, it's always correct for an accessory protocol to dismiss a
> message as "unsigned" if the irrelevant signatures the only signatures
> present.  Any other behavior would fall under "false negative due to
> irrelevant signatures".

Yes.