On November 14, 2016 12:50:01 AM EST, "Murray S. Kucherawy"
<superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Scott Kitterman
><ietf-d...@kitterman.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't a DMARC option to allow senders to specify only messages
>that
>> pass verification and alignment for BOTH SPF and DMARC accomplish the
>same
>> result with less complexity and without the layering violation
>inherent in
>> this proposal?
>>

>Doesn't that presuppose point-to-point handling?  The proposal here
>doesn't.

Your proposal breaks all non-point-to-point handling, if I understand it
correctly, so whether you make DKIM signatures non-forwardable or do it in
DMARC policy, it's the same end result.

>> DMARC seems to be the policy engine of choice in the community (for
>better
>> or for worse).  I think addressing this at the policy level makes
>more
>> sense than changing the semantics of DKIM signatures after almost a
>decade
>> of deployment.
>>

>As the problem was presented to me, I haven't heard that DMARC is
>specifically involved here.  It might be (maybe even "probably" is
>apt),
>but I haven't heard that, so I limited this idea to just the DKIM
>signing
>and verifying components of the system.

I think your pushing a substantial change to DKIM and to the extent this is a
reasonable problem to solve, DKIM isn't the right layer in the email
authentication stack to do it.

>> P.S. With my Debian OpenDKIM maintainer hat on, I'm not immediately
>> convinced I'd want to enable this feature.  I don't know if other
>distro
>> maintainers are on this list or not, but that's one opinion.  It's
>not
>> guaranteed to be widely deployed.
>>

>Why is this a distribution issue?

Because so far this looks like a source of interoperability problems and bug
report headaches I could do without.

I think the solution to "I have a problem that results when I sign spam" is
"don't do that", not the entire community turns on its head to work around
someone's local configuration problems.

Scott K