Keith -- I beg to differ.  There are a number of other groups that
have considered taking their work to the IETF, but decided instead to
just use the IETF WG Processes, as described in the relevant RFCs.

They have done this with good results, and I recommend often that
this be done by others.  One of the benefits of this approach is
complete avoidance of what is going on here in this mailing list;-)...

So, the answer is, if you want to do it the IETF way, then just use
the WG working rules, and take the results to the IETF when you are
done, if the results look good enough.

The only other reason to take work to the IETF is because you might
draw in some additional useful talents from meeting attendees, and
something then could rub off on your work.

But otherwise, there are no particular inhibitors.  IETF even allows
outsiders to post IETF-DRAFTS, which serve to inform the larger IETF
community about such non-IETF work.  All this add to the over all
value of the work being done.

So, I read this mass of IETF mail to mean that the OPES work is just
not ready for prime time, and so they should just settle down and get
to work on making it ready for IETF prime time, or just do the work
and be done with it.

The thing I marvel at is the size of the fuss about the question;-)...
Surely the readers of this list will not be offended by a few
messages announcing the work!  That would beat the pants off what we
see here now;-)...

Cheers...\Stef