> btw, i think the address space stuff for subscribers using NATs is often
> (not always) hokum - its
> mostly that they can't be bothered to design a decent addressing
> architecture for their intranets.
>
>  cheers
>    jon

Oh, I think that there are lots of good engineers out there who do a great
job of designing decent addressing architectures for their networks.
Now if the darn things would just stay within the design constraints over
time, there would not be a problem. Trouble is, those pesky users keep
thinking up new things to do with the network, violating design assumptions.
Makes the addressing architects life a living hell...
        (insert a  quick overview of the evolution of the IPv4
         addressing architecture here...)
Still, I do think a basic NAT design philosophy is one of "withdraw into my
own little world, protecting me from dealing w/ the troubles outside".

--
--bill