At 15:35 99-11-26 -0600, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Well, let's not focus on Bill's data. Frankly, I haven't seen any data
>on this topic from any source that really convinces me that it
>means much. All I know is that we have thousands of sites using

sorry, many many many thousands of sites.  for example, I would fairly
guess these days that 75% of sites use private address space. I would say
that 90% of the networks I've seen at our clients sites are using private
address space.

I would say that now, a lot of global ipv4 address space is used mostly for
the outside interfaces of sites: i.e. firewall external address,
web/smtp/... external servers.

Marc.

>private address space, which completely falsifies any real data and
>makes it impossible to attach any real meaning to concepts such as
>"running out of addresses". My personal opinion is that we ran out
>of addresses in practical terms around about when RFC 1597 was published.
>
>   Brian
>
>Randy Bush wrote:
> >
> > > www.isi.edu/~bmanning/in-addr-audit.html
> > >       It does not cover specific /16 & /24 delegations, it just looks at
> > > all of the SOA entries. Still, it does give a representation of how much
> > > space is delegated.
> >
> > uh, as these data appear to be the statistics of an attempt to walk the
> > dns in-addr.arpa tree what confidence is there that this fairly represents
> > address space assignment/allocation?
> >
> > e.g. there are 153 /16 announcements in 133.0.0.0 and the table at
> > http://www.isi.edu/~bmanning/in-addr-data.html shows one in-addr.arpa
> > allocation entries.
> >
> > e.g. there are 166 announcements (of 175 /16 equivalents of space) in
> > 147.0.0.0 and the table at http://www.isi.edu/~bmanning/in-addr-data.html
> > shows 193 in-addr.arpa entries.
> >
> > so how can the data at www.isi.edu/~bmanning/in-addr-audit.html be
> > interpreted to give a useful representation of how much space is
> > assignmed/allocated?
> >
> > randy

Marc Blanchet                   | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Viagénie inc.                   | http://www.viagenie.qc.ca
2875 boul. Laurier, suite 300   | tél.: 418-656-9254
Ste-Foy, Québec         | fax.: 418-266-5539
Canada, G1V 2M2         | radio: VA2-JAZ
Internet Engineering Standards/Normes d'ingénierie Internet
                http://www.normos.org