First of All, sorry that I enter your discussions ;-)

Ian King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> But then again, I would expect that a large corporation would see the
need
>> to own a large address space, rather than attempting to "pseudo-expand"
its
>> address space through the use of NAT.

It's right Perry, everyone want to own a own adress Space that is protect
for
him, her or for the company. But It isn't quite good to expand the IP's to
monsters of numbers.

I think the IETF has to think about a whole new method to cover that
problem.

> You are assuming they could get such a space. They can't. No one can
> if you aren't a provider. The registries will simply tell you to go
> off in the corner and use private address space instead.

If I think to real future (means in up to 5 - 10 years) so many Computers
and
other Hardware will connect to the Internet that also the method of
expanding
the IP - adress space wouldn't be enough. The organization of the IP -
Adress
coverage should be checked.

Think about that.

At the moment the companys, the provider and the adress space organziations
handle the IP - Pool. But wouldn't be better to check the really needed
adress spaces for a company or an provider, instat giving them A-class and
so on number-spaces away? Such saying you aren't using this IP's now for
3 Month, sorry we'll have to give them away?

It is not possible that organizations or company block adress spaces and
then don't use them. I know, the companys and the private People too, wanna
have secured adress spaces, but at the moment it seems that a kind of
IP - grebing is started.

Well, is only a feeling and I also have no solution for that problem, but
also IPV6 wouldn't cover that. Is a kind of handling Problem!

> The situation right now is really horrible. People are pretending it
> isn't, but the pretense really has to end.

I only could say YES! This situation is now really horrible.

> The End to End model isn't just a "nice idea" -- its actually needed
> for people to manage and maintain networks cost effectively. Its
> effectively dead a the moment, and frankly, I'd like the internet back
> again, instead of this kludge we're using instead these days.

*g* I also miss the beginng's of the internet, but at all. It's better
today (some ways) ;-)

>Perry

Sven Linscheid
Senior Developer Dresder Bank Internet - Section Germany PC,CC
Hacking Test Section
Internet Knowledge Center
Windmuehlstreet 14
60316 Frankfurt / Main