In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Maha
devan Iyer typed:

 >>On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Barathy, RamaSubramaniam wrote:
 >>
 >>> Hello Everybody,
 >>>
 >>> Would it not be nice to have some sort of quality control task force that
 >>> assigns a quality level for the web sites through out the world.
 >>>
 >>> This would make the site developers to bring in the higher quality to the
 >>> net.
 >>> This could be used as an additional criteria in the search engines.
 >>> This could make higher quality sites to be a revenue generator.
 >>>

 >>> With more and more web sites, we r getting lost in finding quality
 >>> information.
 >>

 >>What quality of a web site are you referring to?
 >>Quality of service or Quality of Content?  The latter is subjective.

so is the former.

see
G. M. Wilson and M. A. Sasse (forthcoming): Investigating the Impact
of Audio Degradations on Users: Subjective vs. Objective
Assessment Methods. To be presented as a full paper at OZCHI'2000,
Sydney, Dec. 2000.

A. Watson & M. A. Sasse (forthcoming): The Good, the Bad, and the
Muffled: The Impact of Different Degradations on Internet
Speech. To be presented as a full paper at ACM Multimedia, Los
Angeles, Oct. 30- Nov. 3.

G. Wilson & M. A. Sasse (forthcoming): Do Users Always Know What's
Good For Them? Utilising Physiological Responses to
Assess Media Quality. To be presented as a full paper at HCI 2000,
September 5th - 8th, Sunderland, UK. Proceedings published
by Springer.

A. Bouch, M. A. Sasse & H. DeMeer (2000): Of Packets and People: A
User-Centred Approach to Quality of Service. Proceedings
of IWQoS 2000, Pittsburgh, PA, June 5-8, pp. 189-197.

A. Bouch and M. A. Sasse (2000): The case for predictable media
quality in networked multimedia applications. Proceedings of the
ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN'00), 25-27th
January 2000, San Jose, USA.

etc etc etc

 cheers

   jon