As someone who has cited I-Ds in published papers (if you're curious,
see http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/badesp.ps -- I even
identified one of the I-Ds as an "obsolete Internet draft), I have to
support the notion of keeping them around.  In my case, I wanted to
point out the inherent problems in a particular approach to IPsec.  I
also needed to point out the evolution of the ideas over time.  I know
of no better way to do that than to refer to successive versions of the
same document.  In fact, I had to hunt through the net to find various
versions of the documents in question...

                --Steve Bellovin