Tim Salo wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:02:00 -0700
> > From: Joe Touch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: An Internet Draft as reference material
> >
> > >     [...]
> > > From RFC 2026, Section 10.3.1.  All Contributions:
> >
> > Reading along further in the same document:
> >
> > >    ... Internet Drafts that
> > >    have been removed (for any reason) from the Internet-Drafts
> > >    directories shall be archived by the IETF Secretariat for the sole
> > >    purpose of preserving an historical record of Internet standards
> > >    activity and thus are not retrievable except in special
> > >    circumstances.
> >
> > It isn't so clear that the rights in Sec 10.3.1 supercede the
> > implicit agreement in Sec. 8.
>
> It's pretty clear to me that Section 10 specifies the intellectual
> property rights that the author of a submission grants to the ISOC,
> while Section 8 describes internal IETF procedures.  It's also pretty
> clear to me that under Section 10 the author grants fairly broad
> perpetual rights to the ISOC, and that this grant of rights is not
> contingent upon the IETF promising to never change its internal
> procedures.

Unlike standards in the IETF, this is not a matter for rough consensus.

> What you appear to me to want is the right for authors to limit or
> retract the [perpeual] rights granted to the ISOC under Section 10
> after the fact for pretty much any reason, including changes in
> internal IETF procedures.

Let me be more explicit then. What I want is what the
practice/agreement/contract (implicit or otherwise)
was when I submitted, for drafts submitted at that time.

Agreements, on whatever basis, cannot be changed
retroactively in the interest of enabling patent
searches _or_ for historic preservation.

> I don't understand what your objectives are, but it seems possible that
> the Internet Draft mechanism is not the most appropriate tool for that
> task.

Whether it _IS_ not the most appropriate, doesn't change
whether it _WAS_. And neither does the unilateral retroactive
alteration of an agreement.

Joe