My apologies -- I should have been more precise about chronology.
When we _first_ did mail-over-FTP, the norm was to deliver more
or less directly into the user's file system.  The notion of
"spooling" or "mail store" mail-receiving processes came later --
in the Multics case, not much later, as it became clear that
direct-to-user-space delivery raised some security issues that no
one was happy about-- but well before SMTP.

So Dave, and his chronology, are quite correct.

     john

--On Saturday, 27 January, 2001 06:26 -0600 Dave Crocker