At 09:29 AM 11/19/2001 +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Andy,
>
>I don't see how this will help. The nonsense messages will still come,
>from the usual sources, often copied to both lists, which will only
>increase the level of annoyance.

IETF Last Call is a critical part of the Standards Process.
It's our last chance to do a cross-domain sanity check on
new technology, and give this input to the IESG, before
they decide to approve a standard or not.

These critical emails comprise less than 1 percent of
the traffic on the IETF list. (My unscientific survey says...)
I wouldn't characterize the other 99% as pure noise, maybe just 95%.

I know of several longtime IETFers who ignore this list because
of S/N ratio is so bad.  If there was a [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list,
more people might make Last Call comments.  People who
post off-topic messages will be shouted off the list and
if they keep doing it, they will be blocked from posting.

Andy