> > IPv6 needs to be justified on the number of nodes that truly need a
> > globally accessible public address, not by insisting on counting devices
> > that should remain anonymous or under limited (and controlled) visibility.
>
> you appear to be confusing visibility with accessibility.

No, that is exactly what I am not confusing.

If a node only requires accessibility by a few specialized nodes (such
as a water meter) then making it *visible* to more is just creating
a security hole that has to be plugged.

Yes, the hole can be plugged easily.

I am merely pointing out that the opportunity to add more rules to
an IPv6 firewall to plug a security hole that IPv6 created is *not*
an argument for IPv6.

Further, NAT boxes are very friendly to meter-type devices. They
can receive their IPv4 address via DHCP (eliminating the need
to administer addresses) and then they can contact the collection
server. The upper-layer protocols will identify the meter,
which they would have done for authentication reasons anyway.

There are also a large number of solutions using L2 tunneling.

My point remains, a globally meaningful address is something that
should only be applied when it is useful for that endpoint to
be globally addressable.