At the minimum, such violations of IETF Standards should be formally
noted in a letter from the IAB to the offending vendor, whoever that
might be, when such information becomes available to the IESG or the
IAB.

Among other things, such notices would result in a formally recorded
track record for the offending vendor, which should be made public by
CC to the IETF mailing list, as these are public standards, which are
of public interest and public record.

This assumes that the IESG or IAB care about such violations, in the
interests of promoting vendor conformance with their standards.

Of course, if no one cares, then no one cares, though one might
become curious about what the IETF does care about;-)...

>I am not suggesting that the IETF should mount a conformance police
>force!  but it should offer more than a simple shrug of their
>shoulders, such as "ok.  i give.  why?".

   PS:  I apologize profusely to Dave and everyone else for
        violating my own rule against use of the Eudora Redirect
        Command, which always results in confusion when used as I
        did...\s