On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:18:17 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

> because how can we determine the discussion time we would
> need if we don't know 1) the number of submitted I-Ds and
> the issue they could raise on mailing list 2) how they can

If you know what you're doing, it's engineering.  If you don't,
it's research. ;)

In general, we really can't tie down the agenda *too* tightly
because we don't know what the show-stopping issues are (if we
did, we'd not need to have the meeting, right?) I'm sure we've
*all* seen meeting agendas for a single hour-long meeting end
up totally incorrect because one item suddenly ends up taking
far longer than originally budgeted.

> impact each other so for instance it might be better to put
> WG X meeting before WG Y meeting (cross-WG discussion are
> paramount importance in the current INTERNET environment)

If you already know beforehand that X and Y correlate, it's not
that hard to deal with.  The problem is that you can't pre-schedule
the random discussions in the hallway - I can think of a *number*
of Big Name People on this list, who could be put together for
30 mins or so, and will produce an important insight for *some*
working group.

Unfortunately, nobody knows *which* working group. ;)

(Not that I've ever actually *made* it to an in-person IETF meeting ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer