At 11:23 AM 3/18/02, Keith Moore wrote:
>I'm an individual with a modest income who generally pays his own way
>to attend IETF meetings.  I agree that the costs are too high.  However,
>I'd be opposed to a scheme that charged corporations more, because then
>they'd expect their word to carry more weight.  IMHO the only way to
>make sure that individuals continue to be able to contribute usefully
>to IETF is to treat all participants of IETF the same - regardless of
>who pays for the attendance.

I'm another who pays his own way. I don't make it to all meetings,
partially because of expense, partially because of time/availability
constraints. I have no issue with the meeting expense part of things. I
spend much more on airfare, hotel and meals than on the meeting fee. It's
those other expenses that'll keep me from Yokohama.

I am active on mailing lists, contributing to or commenting on drafts, and
so forth. It's entirely possible to be an active participant in the IETF
without attending meetings.

Daniel Senie                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com