On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Pyda Srisuresh wrote:

> Hence, a statement of applicability and limitations is
> warranted in the draft.

Let me be more precise: draft-katz-yeung says how TE in a single OSPF
area can be accomplished.  It doesn't aim to address the multi-area
case; *nor does it say that it cannot do so*; *nor should it do so*.
There is work going on to address multi-area TE *that builds on this
draft*.  In spite of your "recommendations", this multi-area work
building on draft-katz-yeung has a lot of traction.  I therefore have
no intentions of putting in incorrect or incomplete limitations.

> Kireeti - I am aware of RFC 2702 and have reviewed it.
> The RFC is about requirements and applications of TE over MPLS.
> The RFC is *not* about requirements for the IGP collecting
> TE metrics within an Autonomous System(AS). I was refering
> to the latter.

draft-katz-yeung is *not* about collecting TE metrics.  It's about
providing a topological database that can be used for routing traffic
trunks; the parameters that are carried in this database are those
whose semantics and applicability are described in RFC 2702.

> The whole crux of my comments has been on scaling and applicability
> limitations.
>
> > >    Large OSPF networks with multiple areas will not
> > >    run this protocol.
> >
> > Crystal ball?  I suggest you get a new one.
> >

> READ - This protocol is restricted in scope to a single area.

I beg to differ -- see above.

at the end of the second para in the Introduction:

"This document purposely does not say how the mechanisms described
here can be used for traffic engineering across multiple OSPF areas;
that task is left to future documents."

Kireeti.