John-

> Processing those applications would mean lots more work for the
> Secretariat.  And then there'd be the time spent on people
> complaining because they were turned down.
>
> >(And, there would be several well-known
> >categories of folk who would be helped: academics, students,
> >self-funded, folks from non-profits, whatever)
>
> "Self-funded" is problematic, though: how do you tell the
> difference between someone who really is paying his own way and
> someone who's going to expense it? And what about a consultant
> with his own small business; if he owns the business outright, and
> the business pays the way, is that self-funded or not?

Maybe a bit -- but, if you're self funded then you have no
affiliation on your badge.

It would be a bit of extra work, I agree.  How much, I have no
idea...

But, let's face it ... we're going to raise the meeting fee to get
our finances in order.  And, I was echoing Harald's point that this
could be a Big Deal to some folk.  A student I have worked with in
the past funded his way to SF last week and I know was very grateful
for the break in the meeting fee.

I, for one, do not want to eliminate these sorts of people from
attending the meetings because I think they add a different and
useful perspective.  So, I would be in favor of having some amount
of wiggle room for folk who ask for it.  I will not ask for it (in
my current situation) and would be happy (for my funder) to
subsidize the registration fee for these folk (as I am currently
thrilled to do for students who attend IETF).

> I think other organizations make this kind of distinction work by
> giving more rights to people who pay more; that would be the
> opposite of what we want to do here.

I was specifically thinking of SIGCOMM's student travel grant
program -- in which the above is not the case.

allman

--
Mark Allman -- NASA GRC/BBN -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/