Tony Hain wrote:

> Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> > I believe that you have misunderstood my point...  I'll try
> > to explain further, although our friends in the applications
> > area may be able to give better examples.
> >
> > Let's assume that there is a FooBar server in SiteA.  If
> > another node in SiteA (NodeA) is communicating via a
> > multi-party application to a node in SiteB (NodeB), and wants
> > to refer NodeB to the FooBar server in SiteA, what does it do?
>
> Send a name.

Not all addresses are published in DNS.
DNS isn't a requirement for IP either.

> > If this is IPv6 with site-local addressing, NodeA may be
> > speaking to the FooBar server using a site-local address.
> > What happens if NodeA sends that site local address to NodeB?
>
> Any app that sends topology locator information without understanding
> the topology is broken.

<SNIP>

Thus RFC959 is broken? There goes my favourite transfer proto :)
And there are enough applications that are broken then.
Actually all the applications that need special processing
when traversing a NAT as those apps
If those apps didn't pass an IP(/port) combo inside then
they wouldn't need special treatment by the NAT either.

We are actually getting to:
  Use a unique identifier that is topology independent.
Wasn't that where IP Addresses where meant for? A unique
address independent of topology...

Greets,
 Jeroen