*>
  *> > If you want to address denial of service issues you need protocol
  *> > enforcement points.
  *>
  *> NAT is a denial of service attack, not a means of policy enforcement.
  *>
  *>
  *>

Keith,

I think it would be more accurate to say that a NAT contravenes
the basic Internet prnciple of universal connectivity.

Since 1980 we have believed that universal connectivity was one of the
great achievements of the Internet design.  Today, one must
unfortunately question whether universal connectivity can be sustained
(or is even the right goal) in a networking environment without
universal trust.  Maybe NATs are, in fact, a result of a very deep
problem with our architecture.  If you accept that, then there is no
point in attacking NATs until you can propose a better architectural
solution to the trust problem (hopefully, there will be one!)

Bob Braden